Followers

Friday, April 6, 2012

Madame Brillon de Jouy

 
   Madame Brillon de Jouy was a popular and well-connected musician in Paris in my youth. She was one of the truly brilliant harpsichordists in Europe at the time and a great contender for the arts. In the late 1760's, I was a frequent visitor at her home, and I will admit I was quite charmed by her talent and worldliness. In fact, I composed and dedicated my "Six Sonates pour Clavecin et Violon oblige, Opus 5" to her.

 Anne Louise Brillon de Jouy. N.d. Photograph. Portrait Gallery - Poor Richard's LameWeb. 6 Apr 2012. <http://poorrichardslament.com/portrait_gallery.html>.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely picture of her! Was she your mentor as you grew up? That is so beautiful that you dedicated a piece to her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grazie mille for commenting! Madame Brillon de Jouy wasn't a tutor so much as an acquaintance of my benefactor at the time, the Baron de Bagge of Paris. He, being a widely-respected patron of the arts; provided me with useful connections such as Madame, who aided me in creating a name for myself as a young musicista.

    ReplyDelete